'In the beginning was noise. And noise begat rhythm. And rhythm begat everything else.'
– Mickey Hart
Private, Partner & Group Lessons
The New School offers lessons for beginner, intermediate and advanced students in:
- Drum Kit (all styles, from beginner to diploma level, see Drum Tuition FAQs)
- Irish Percussion (bodhrán, bones and spoons)
- World Percussion (djembe, congas, bongos, timbales, etc.)
Drum tuition can also include preparation for graded music exams as well as Junior Cert. Music and Leaving Cert. Music practicals, and counts as the 'personal skill' challenge area for Gaisce - The President's Award. Weekly private (one-to-one) lessons are 30, 45 or 60 minutes in length. Group lessons, designed for students at the same level of proficiency who enrol together, are available as 30-, 45- or 60-minute ‘partner’ lessons, as well as 60-minute lessons for 3 or 4 students. Single 1- or 2-hour bodhrán or drum kit Intensive Lessons for both individuals and small groups are also available.
Go to Tuition Options for more information on private, partner and group lessons, and Enrolment & Fees for tuition fees and enrolment forms.
Back to top
Comments from Students
'My teacher made it very easy to learn the drums, as he broke each skill down into its elements. Also, the drum kit here is fantastic.'
– G. Gunn
'Great teacher, with great patience, who tries to get the best from my son at every lesson, while making it fun.'
– A. Gannon
Have you taken – or are you taking – drum or percussion lessons/courses at the school? We would appreciate your feedback!
Back to top
Group Courses for Beginners
- Designed for absolute beginners, Introducing Bodhrán offers an in-depth introduction to this popular instrument.
- Introducing Samba Drumming explores the magic of traditional street samba performed in Brazil’s annual carnaval (carnival) parades, with sections of different percussion instruments weaving an irresistible tapestry of sound in the traditional batería or percussion band.
- Participants in Introducing World Drumming learn the techniques and rhythms associated with various world percussion instruments, including djembes, congas, bongos, dumbeks and assorted frame drums.
Both courses are followed by courses for intermediate and advanced groups (subject to minimum enrolment).
Ensembles & Sessions
- Drum kit students may be interested in joining one of our Jazz Ensembles.
- Facilitated by the renowned West African drummer, singer and musician Solomon Ijigade and taking place on Friday evenings at the school, Waltons Drum Circle sessions are open to drummers at all levels of experience, even absolute beginners.
- Bodhrán students may be interested in our Trad Slow Sessions, open to both New School and external students/players, also taking place on Friday evenings.
Friday Casual Concerts
The New School’s Friday Casual Concerts are a great opportunity for students of all instruments (and all musical styles) to play in public, in a relaxed and supportive setting, before friends, family and other students. These brief concerts, which take place once a month on Friday evenings at 7.30 pm in the school, allow individual students and ensembles to perform in public, show off their skills and learn how to cope with nerves. They are also highly recommended for students preparing for grade exams.
Drumming Around the World, Sounds African and Sounds Samba are exciting one-hour workshops combining dynamic live demonstrations with fun and fascinating activities designed to help young people develop their musical awareness through the exploration of rhythms and percussion instruments from Latin America or Africa.
Recommended Instruments & Payment Plans
In association with Waltons music shops, we have selected several recommended acoustic and electronic drum kits, bodhráns and congas for drum and percussion students at the New School. Because the cost of instruments shouldn’t deter students from starting lessons, we have also created payment plans for instruments priced €150 or more that allow students to purchase beginners' instruments or upgrade their existing instruments without a large financial outlay. Payment plans consist of an initial deposit and six monthly payments made by post-dated cheques or credit/Laser card payments. Go to Recommended Instruments for more information.
Drum Kit Practice
The New School’s drum kits are available for limited practice rental by currently-enrolled students only. Go to Practice Facilities for more information.
Ciara Byrne (Sounds Samba outreach workshop)
Brian Fleming (Sounds African outreach workshop)
Evelio Galán (Drumming Around the World outreach workshop)
Solomon Ijigade (Drumming Around the World and Sounds African outreach workshops)
Jim Magill (drum kit)
Eddie McGinn (bodhrán, world percussion, Introducing Samba Drumming and World Drumming courses,
Sounds Samba outreach workshop)
Ian McTigue (drum kit, bodhrán, Drumming Around the World outreach workshop)
Hugh O'Byrne (drum kit)
Kevin O'Hare (Irish percussion, Introducing Bodhrán course)
Located in Dublin city centre, Waltons New School of Music is a comprehensive music centre, combining music tuition of the highest standard with innovative approaches to music education. The New School offers tuition in the broadest range of instruments and subjects of any music school in Ireland, for students of all ages, levels and abilities.
Back to top