Pre-Instrumental (Early Childhood) Music Courses for Children Aged 3-6
'I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy; but most importantly music, for in the patterns of music and all the arts are the keys of learning.'
'The class has been very beneficial for our child, who went from being extremely shy at the start to fully participating and enjoying the class each week. It has been the perfect balance of learning and fun.'
– S. Ayers Lewis
'Very good course and atmosphere.... [My son] loved the teacher, different instruments and other children. Interaction helped him to "come out of his shell".'
– C. Ryan
'[A] great teacher for introducing my daughter to the world of music. She learned lots and enjoyed every class.'
– M. Waters
'The teacher....is lovely, very caring, a natural educator.'
– Z. He
– M. Balasca
Designed for children aged 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6, the New School's Music for Me programme is a unique introduction to music and music-making, all in a nurturing and creative environment.
The curriculum for each level is geared and paced to the abilities, developmental stage and learning styles of that particular age. Classes move at a lively pace that keeps children engaged and having fun while learning.
Depending on age group, Music for Me classes incorporate some or all of the following elements:
- Moving. Children love to move. Moving to music allows them both to express themselves and to develop their bodies, ears and imaginations.
- Listening. Children are exposed to a wide variety of music, including new and traditional songs, different genres (classical, Irish traditional, jazz, etc.) and music from other countries and cultures. ‘Natural’ sounds and soundscapes (rain, thunder, animal sounds) are also explored.
- Exploring. Children play with music’s ‘building blocks’ (rhythm, melody, etc.). Older groups learn the rudiments of tonic solfa (doh, re, mi) and music reading.
- Making. Children discover music by making it their own. They collectively improvise and ‘compose’ pieces through which many elements of music can be explored (melody, pitch, rhythm, range, tempo, dynamics, structure, tonality, instrumentation, mood, timbre and texture).
- Meeting the Instruments. Children have the opportunity to examine the physical and sound-making properties of several instruments, and are introduced to various instruments and instrument families (strings, wind, keyboard, guitar, traditional, etc.) by New School faculty.
See left menu for individual course descriptions and Music for Me FAQs for more information.
Music for Me Programme Internships
These internships are open to students currently enrolled as undergraduates in music or music education programmes in Ireland. If chosen for this opportunity, interns will work alongside and under the supervision of the Music for Me teacher on an ongoing basis, developing their teaching skills and classroom management techniques. They may also have the opportunity to work with teachers and/or facilitators in the New School’s Outreach Programme. Although the internships are unpaid, they are a valuable opportunity to gain experience in music education for children. Go to Job Opportunities for more information.
Back to top