Web resources for post-primary teachers & students
The following courses are currently offered in our Post-Primary and Youth Project In-School Music Programme:
- Bodhrán (max. 10 participants) The bodhrán, a wood and goatskin drum beaten with a wooden stick, is the heartbeat of Irish music - and great fun to play! Students will learn all the main rhythms of traditional Irish music in this course, including reels, jigs, hornpipes and polkas. Waltons plain bodhráns can be purchased by or for participants at a 10% discount.
- Capoeira (max. 25 participants) African in its origin and Brazilian in its evolution, capoeira provides a fun, creative and comprehensive way for participants to exercise, develop their sense of music and rhythm and be exposed to the another culture. In Brazil, capoeira is the second most practiced sport after soccer and is part of many Brazilian schools’ curricula.
- Choir (no limit) Aside from the fun and music, the benefits of providing a choir for your school or centre are many and varied. Numerous studies have shown that choral singing improves academic performance and teaches valuable life skills. Most importantly, a choir teaches the importance of co-operation and working together as a team.
- Exploring Percussion (max. 25 participants) This fun, energetic course explores a wide range of drums, drumming and rhythms. Participants will work with a variety of instruments, including bodhráns, classroom percussion, parts of the drum kit - and even their own bodies! – all the while gaining valuable experience in communication and working together as a team.
- Guitar (max. 10 participants) Designed especially for teen beginners, this course takes a practical, enjoyable ap¬proach to acoustic guitar tuition. The style is hands-on, contemporary and seriously fun. SX steel-string acoustic guitar packs (guitar, soft gig bag, guitar stand, guitar strap, plectrums and pitch pipes for tuning) can be purchased by or for participants at a 10% discount.
- Irish Fiddle (max. 10 participants) Learn basics of playing this subtle and demanding instrument – holding, bowing, fingering, etc. – and the main forms of traditional music (jigs, reels, hornpipes, airs, etc.), including some of their many variations. Course fee includes a Valencia violin outfit (violin, bow, rosin, hard case) for each student.
- Junior and/or Leaving Certificate Music (max. 25 participants) For schools that do not have Junior of Leaving Cert. Music programmes of their own. These 2-year courses consist of 30 weeks of 1.5-hour classes per week and cover all aspects of the Essential Listening and Composing Activities at Higher level.
- Music Therapy Based on the understanding that all human beings are able to respond to and communicate with music, irrespective of disability or injury, music therapy classes have proven very effective for children with autism, Down syndrome, ADHD, developmental and physical disabilities. See Music Therapy page for more information.
- Singing for Fun (max. 10 participants) Everyone loves to sing, and singing is the basis of all music. It also builds self-esteem, promotes teamwork and facilitates self-expression. We’ll work on a wide range of songs in this course, including pop, R&B and musical theatre.
- Songwriting (max. 10 participants) Learning to write and perform songs is an immensely satisfying and empowering experience. In this course we will explore the components of songs and work together as a group to write our own original songs.
- Violin (max. 10 participants) Intended not only to teach participants to play the violin but also to make music an engaging and enjoyable learning experience. Valencia violin outfits (violin, bow, rosin, hard case) can be purchased by or for participants at a 10% discount.
Private (one-to-one) lessons can be arranged for many of the instruments that are currently taught at Waltons New School of Music (see Lesson/Course Catalogue). Some of our teachers teach more than one instrument, and a minimum teaching block of three hours per teacher is required. For piano and singing lessons, the school must have an acoustic upright piano or digital piano with weighted keys, in good working condition and in tune. (Waltons music shops can provide these at special discounts to schools.)
School/Youth Centre Requirements
Following are the New School's requirements for In-School Music Programme classes and lessons:
- All Group Courses Large classroom or school hall with good ventilation and light, whiteboard/marker or blackboard/chalk.
- Capoeira Space cleared of desks, CD player.
- Fiddle, Guitar, Violin At least one music stand for every two students.
- Junior and/or Leaving Cert. Music, Singing for Fun Acoustic piano, digital piano or electronic keyboard. (Waltons music shops can provide these at special discounts to schools.)
- Music Therapy Classroom percussion set (may be purchased at a discounted price from Waltons), with teacher bringing additional instruments.
- Private Lessons Small classroom and music stand. Piano lessons require an acoustic upright or digital piano. (Waltons music shops can provide these at special discounts to schools.)
Good communication between In-School Music Programme teachers and schools or youth projects is very important. For this reason a school-based contact person should be nominated and his/her name and contact details specified in the contract.
Below are fees for 10- and 30-week group courses, although it is possible to arrange courses of various durations, including 5-week ‘taster’ courses, and we would be happy to tailor a course to your particular needs. One hour of teaching can also be divided into two consecutive 30-minute classes, and two consecutive hours of teaching can be divided into two 60-minute classes, three 40-minute classes or four 30-minute classes.
|2 hours teaching ||10 ||€1450 |
|1 hour teaching ||10 ||€850 |
|2 hours teaching ||30 ||€4135 |
|1 hour teaching ||30 ||€2425 |
|Junior or Leaving Cert. Music (1.5 hrs) ||30 ||€3400 |
A minimum 3-hour block, or 6 x 30-minute lessons, is required for private lessons.
10 weeks of 30-minute lessons: €225/student
10 weeks of 45-minute lessons: €338/student
10 weeks of 60-minute lessons: €450/student
Fees are subject to change. Additional fees may apply to courses and lessons outside the Dublin area.
We can provide your school with everything you need to get started, including information flyers/enrolment forms to distribute to students and parents.
Booking & Enquiries
Use our Booking & Enquiry Form (see below) or contact Sarah Cunningham, Outreach Co-ordinator.
Download an Outreach Programme brochure.
Go to Enrolment & Booking Form Downloads for an Outreach Booking & Enquiry Form.
Back to top