'An abundance of technique should not be a means to an end but a way to allow the heart to expand freely.'
- Pablo Casals
'A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?'
– Albert Einstein
Private, Partner & Group Lessons
The New School’s string programme provides specialised training at all levels, from beginner to advanced. Many of our students, whose ages span over half a century, have come here to study entirely for their own pleasure. Others have been prepared for grade examinations, diplomas, scholarships and public performances. We have also prepared string students for Junior Cert. Music and Leaving Cert. Music practicals, and string study at the school fulfills the 'personal skill' challenge area for Gaisce - The President's Award.
Weekly private (one-to-one) lessons – 30, 45 or 60 minutes in length – are offered for:
- Double Bass
- Fiddle (Irish and bluegrass)
- Irish Harp
Group lessons, designed for students at the same level of proficiency who enrol together, are available as 30-, 45- or 60-minute ‘partner’ lessons, as well as 60-minute lessons for 3 or 4 students. Single 1- or 2-hour Intensive Lessons for both individuals and small groups are available for all of these instruments.
Go to Tuition Options for more information on private, partner and group lessons, and Enrolment & Fees for tuition fees and enrolment forms.
Back to top
Comments from Students
'My daughter has a wonderful violin teacher here. She certainly has the knowledge and expertise but most importantly she knows how to work with children and motivate them to stick with it. We’ll be back.'
– J. O'Donnell
'My violin teacher completely accomodated my ambition to progress quickly in learning the instrument, starting from absolutely no experience.'
– O. Robinson
'I'm a mature student with limited time to play an instrument, and Waltons have been great.... I've had a very encouraging teacher, I'm so glad I took up violin, and I plan to continue. Thanks!'
– H.J. Ó Mairtin
'There is an overall 'can do' atmosphere; very accessible and friendly; no ageism; good opening hours.'
– M. Meinardi (cello student)
Have you taken – or are you taking – string instrument lessons/courses at the school? We would appreciate your feedback!
Back to top
Group Courses for Beginners
We offer the following courses for absolute beginners, which offer lively introductions to the instrument:
Ensembles & Sessions
- The school’s Adult String Ensemble focuses on ensemble skills and developing general musical/string skills but is also an opportunity to meet other string players and make some great music!
- The school’s two Jazz Ensembles introduce students of all instruments to the art of improvisation through the study and performance of blues and jazz.
- We also run monthly Bluegrass Slow Jams and Trad Slow Sessions, open to both New School and external students/players, on Friday evenings at the school.
Back to top
Friday Casual Concerts
The New School’s Friday Casual Concerts are a great opportunity for students of all instruments (and all musical styles) to play in public, in a relaxed and supportive setting, before friends, family and other students. These brief concerts, which take place once a month on Friday evenings at 7.30 pm in the school, allow individual students and ensembles to perform in public, show off their skills and learn how to cope with nerves. They are also highly recommended for students preparing for grade exams.
Back to top
Theory & Musicianship
- Beginning string students should also consider taking Music Fundamentals, designed to supplement private tuition with the basics of music theory, and string students at all levels are encouraged to attend theory classes.
- Jazz Improvisation Basics, intended for students with at least one year’s playing experience, is an ideal introduction to improvised music making. Students completing the course can further develop and apply the skills they have learned in this course in the ten-week Jazz Blues Ensemble Workshop (students can enrol for both courses together at a reduced fee) followed by Jazz Ensembles I and II.
Back to top
Recommended Instruments & Payment Plans
In association with Waltons music shops, we have selected several recommended instruments for string students at the New School. Because the cost of instruments shouldn’t deter students from starting lessons, we have also created payment plans for instruments priced €150 or more that allow students to purchase beginners' instruments or upgrade their existing instruments without a large financial outlay. Payment plans consist of an initial deposit and six monthly payments. Go to Recommended Instruments for more information.
Elena Elioutina (violin, viola, Introducing Violin for Adults / for Children courses)
Catherine Humphreys (violin)
Beata Kmak (violin, Adult String Ensemble)
Martina Kozhuharov (cello)
Cathy McEvoy (bluegrass fiddle
Sinéad Madden (Irish fiddle, Introducing Fiddle course)
David Mooney (double bass)
Gloria Mulhall (violin, viola)
Junshi Murakami (Irish harp)
Tara Novak (violin, jazz violin, viola, Irish fiddle)
Clare O'Brien (violin, viola)
Lucie O'Flynn (violin, Irish fiddle)
Suzanne Savage (violin)
Located in Dublin city centre, Waltons New School of Music is a comprehensive music centre, combining music tuition of the highest standard with innovative approaches to music education. The New School offers tuition in the broadest range of instruments and subjects of any music school in Ireland, for students of all ages, levels and abilities.
Back to top