Twelve Finalist music groups – from six primary schools and six post-primary schools – have been selected from the many schools around the country that submitted performances for the Music for Schools Competition this year. The Finalists were selected based on several criteria, including musicality, originality, inclusiveness and how effectively and creatively they addressed the 2019 Competition theme, ‘Music = ’. The groups will perform before their peers and two distinguished adjudicators in a gala Finalists Concert in the National Concert Hall on Tuesday, 7 May, and at the end of the concert this year’s six winning schools will be announced.
We thank each and every performer, teacher, principal and school who worked so hard to put together some truly extraordinary Competition entries. You can all be very proud of your musical achievements, and if your school wasn’t selected as a Finalist this year, we do hope that the process has been a rewarding one and that you will enter again next year.
In addition to the Finalists, we have also singled out groups that were not selected as Highly Commended and Commended entries, and these schools will receive commendation certificates in acknowledgement of their achievements.
All schools are listed in alphabetical order.
- Bunscoil Loreto, Gorey, Co. Wexford
- Carrig National School, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
- Gaelscoil Moshíológ, An Chraobhach, Co. Loch Garman
- Scoil Nioclais Naofa, Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow
- St. John’s National School, Breaffy, Co. Mayo
- St. Mochta’s National School, Clonsilla, Dublin 15
- Danescastle National School, Danescastle, Co. Wexford
- Gaelscoil Shlí Dála, Buiríos Mór Osraí, Co. Laois
- Scoil Mhuire Gan Smál, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Sutton Park School, Sutton, Dublin 13
- Boheshill National School, Glencar, Co. Kerry
- Castlemartyr National School, Castlemartyr, Co. Cork
- Redeemer’s Boy’s School, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- St. Cronan’s Senior National School, Swords, Co. Dublin
- St. Martin’s National School, Saggart, Co. Dublin
- Borris Vocational School, Borris, Co. Carlow
- Coláiste Chill Mhantáin, Burkeen, Co. Wicklow
- Davis College, Mallow, Co. Cork
- Laurel Hill Secondary School, Limerick, Co. Limerick
- Pobalscoil Iosolde, Palmerstown, Dublin 15
- St. Joseph’s Secondary School, Rochfortbridge, Co. Westmeath
- Avondale Community College, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow
- Boyne Community School, Trim, Co. Meath
- De la Salle College, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Manor House School, Raheny, Dublin 5
- St. Fergal’s College, Rathdowney, Co. Laois
- St. Mary’s Secondary School, New Ross, Co. Wexford
- Clifden Community School, Clifden, Co. Galway
- Coláiste Eoin, Finglas, Dublin 11
- Dundalk Grammar School, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- St. Mary’s Secondary School, Macroom, Co. Cork
The Waltons Music for Schools Competition is generously supported by RTÉ lyric fm.