Waltons New School of Music
Founded in 1994, Waltons New School of Music is a comprehensive music centre, combining music tuition of the highest standard with innovative approaches to music education. Whether your interest is in classical music, Irish traditional & folk music, jazz, popular music, world music or innovative technology, there are many different paths by which you may enter the New School. Inside, our rooms are filled with people of all ages, skill levels and backgrounds who have come together to explore the universal language of music.
Our students range in age from three to eighty-something. While we welcome those who study music for enjoyment (and offer a variety of instrumental, singing, theory and music technology courses for beginners), we provide training for those who want to make a career of music and offer tuition in many instruments, voice and music theory to performance or teaching diploma level and beyond. Professional musicians and performing groups from all over the world have used our practice facilities.
In addition to the teaching offered in our city centre facilities, the New School has four external programmes bringing music to the broader community:
- An Outreach Programme of interactive music and cultural workshops and longer-term courses that since 2001 have taken place at several hundred schools, youth centres and other organisations in Dublin and around the country. The goal of our Outreach Programme is to provide opportunities for music tuition and active music making that may not otherwise be available in schools or the local community. Our intention is to expand young people’s musical knowledge and encourage imaginative thinking, creativity, a positive self-image and a respect for their own and others’ cultural heritage.
- Music at Work, a unique programme that provides convenient and affordable music courses taking place in Dublin-area workplaces.
- The Waltons World Masters Series, which has, since 2003, brought to Ireland some of the world’s most extraordinary musicians and performing groups for concerts, workshops, masterclasses and public interviews.
- The annual Waltons Music for Schools Competition, a national competition and celebration of music in Irish schools. Open to all Irish primary and post-primary schools, this non-profit initiative, in association with Waltons Music, is designed to support and reward music-making in schools and at the same time encourage schools to develop their music programmes and make music accessible to as many young people as possible. The competition culminates each year with a Finalists Concert in the National Concert Hall.
Collaboration with leading music and arts organisations in Ireland is an important aspect of our work. The New School has worked on several projects – both through its Outreach Programme and the Waltons World Masters Series – with such organisations as:
- The Ark
- Big Bang Festival of Rhythm
- Central Remedial Clinic
- City of Dublin Youth Service Board
- Draíocht Arts Centre
- Dublin City Council
- Dublin City Libraries
- Dublin Flamenco Festival
- Improvised Music Company
- Instituto Cervantes
- Irish World Academy of Music and Dance
- IRMA Trust
- love:live music
- Music Network
- Musical Youth Foundation
- The National Concert Hall
- Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin
- RTÉ lyric fm
- RTÉ Radio 1
- Temple Bar Cultural Trust
- University Concert Hall, Limerick
Musical promise and achievement are rewarded at the New School through substantial annual scholarships and prizes. This is also the only music school in Ireland to offer scholarships specifically for mature students and beginners. See Scholarships • Prizes for more information.
If you want to prepare for a career in music; if you want to learn to play an instrument or sing (or to become a better instrumentalist or singer); if you want to understand and appreciate music, in all its varieties and forms, more deeply; or if you simply want to participate in the joy of music-making, Waltons New School of Music is here to serve you.