Theory • Musicianship
at Waltons New School of Music
‘Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the secret places of the soul.’
This course [Songwriting Workshop] gave me great confidence in songwriting, and to have the guidance of a professional songwriter was so helpful. The course helped me both lyrically and musically to realise my songwriting potential, and I am now constantly writing new material.
The instructor is extremely knowledgeable but also patient and approachable, highly recommended. [Music Fundamentals]
I would absolutely recommend the Music Fundamentals course to anyone who is interested in beginning on the road to understanding written music.
Eoin's easy manner gave me the courage to have a go even if I wasn't getting things right. By my own reckoning I have made huge progress since I began the course [Sight Singing Made Easy].
The course [The Art & Craft of Songwriting] really helped break my writer's block!
The course [Sight Singing Made Easy] is challenging [and] great fun. The teacher is very helpful without being patronising, and the material progresses quickly.
This course [Music Fundamentals] is perfect for anyone with an interest in music. It starts with the very basics of theory and the information is made easy to understand. There is a good atmosphere in the class, being with people who share your passion for music.
[A] a very experienced teacher who had great suggestions for improving my songwriting. I love her energy, enthusiasm and kind nature. She went above and beyond to assist the whole class to improve their work. I really enjoyed and benefited a lot from this class. [The Art & Craft of Songwriting]
A great educational experience and very friendly atmosphere. [The Art & Craft of Songwriting]
An excellent introduction to sight singing for beginners – a lot simpler than I thought it would be! [Sight Singing Made Easy]
I learned so much about the structure of songs and the business of songwriting. [The Art & Craft of Songwriting]
Great, flexible, friendly and encouraging teacher. [Songwriting Workshop]
Sight singing is a skill that I thought was beyond me, but when it was broken down and explained well by an excellent teacher, and then practiced of course [Sight Singing Made Easy], it’s amazing how quickly it became second nature!
Kieran's relaxed way of teaching makes you feel at home on the course [Songwriting Workshop] and gives you the confidence to perform in front of your fellow classmates. I can't believe I stood up in front of a room full of people and performed my own songs! It was an amazing experience.
I liked the personal approach, ensuring you enjoy the subject. You also get to meet other students, and it's a side comfort to know they are travelling the same, sometimes difficult, road as you. Friendships can be formed too. [Music Fundamentals]
I finished four songs and found my melodic voice, which I thought was impossible as I don't play an instrument. I'd like to do a more advanced class! [Songwriting Workshop]
Creativity at its best! [Songwriting Workshop]
An excellent teacher with so much to give. [The Art & Craft of Songwriting]
Recently, I had the pleasure of attending The Art & Craft of Songwriting Workshop. I thoroughly enjoyed the course, and it completely exceeded any expectations that I had. The teacher’s experience and encouragement meant that we each left more confident in ourselves and in our abilities to create music.
Take that chance – it is never too late. From the day I signed up for the [Songwriting Workshop] course to the last session the teacher and staff were so helpful and friendly. Just go for it!
I came with the object of turning ideas into songs. I left with a complete song from an idea I had for years. Results! [The Art & Craft of Songwriting]
A very beneficial course [The Art & Craft of Songwriting] – kick-started my songwriting!
The development of a complete musician requires far more than simply learning to play an instrument or sing. Tuition in musicianship and theory is recommended for students of all ages, whether they are studying classical, traditional, jazz, popular or world music instruments, and essential for anyone planning to take grade examinations past intermediate level.
The New School offers tuition for students at all levels in:
- Music Theory (all grades, to diploma level)
- Sight Singing
- Junior Certificate Music
- Leaving Certificate Music
At higher levels, the following subjects are available:
Our options for theory, musicianship and songwriting tuition include:
- Weekly private (one-to-one) lessons, 30, 45 or 60 minutes in length.
- Group lessons, designed for students at the same level of proficiency who enrol together, and available as 30- 45- or 60-minute ‘partner’ lessons, as well as 60-minute lessons for 3 or 4 students.
- Single 1- or 2-hour Intensive Lessons for both individuals and small groups.
- Four group courses: Music Fundamentals, Sight Singing Made Easy, Songwriting Workshop and The Art & Craft of Songwriting (see following tab).
Music Fundamentals I & II introduce students to the fundamentals of reading and writing music, as well as to elementary musical grammar, and are recommended for anyone beginning instrumental tuition at the New School.
Designed especially for voice/singing students and choristers, Sight Singing Made Easy allows students to develop simultaneously their music reading skills and practical sight singing.
We offer a Songwriting Workshop during the school year and The Art & Craft of Songwriting workshop during the summer. The workshops are designed to guide students through the entire songwriting process, integrating the craft’s many skills into a seamless artistic whole.
This course is perfect for anyone with an interest in music. It starts with the very basics of theory and the information is made easy to understand. There is a good atmosphere in the class, being with people who share your passion for music.’ [Music Fundamentals]
– I. Colgan
‘Sight singing is a skill that I thought was beyond me, but when it was broken down and explained well by an excellent teacher, and then practiced of course, it’s amazing how quickly it became second nature!’ [Sight Singing Made Easy]
– R. Fitzpatrick
‘This course gave me great confidence in songwriting, and to have the guidance of a professional songwriter was so helpful. The course helped me both lyrically and musically to realise my songwriting potential, and I am now constantly writing new material.’ [Songwriting Workshop]
– A. Bradley
‘Melanie O’Reilly is a very experienced teacher and had great suggestions for improving my songwriting. I love her energy, enthusiasm and kind nature. She went above and beyond to assist the whole class to improve their work. I really enjoyed and benefited a lot from this class.’ [The Art & Craft of Songwriting]
– D. Connolly
The New School’s courses and workshops together make up one of the most comprehensive Leaving Cert. Music programmes of any music school in the country:
- The Preliminary Course covers the fundamentals of music theory up to Junior Cert. standard as a preparation for Leaving Cert. Music.
- The Two-Year Course is designed to prepare students for all aspects of the Essential Listening and Composing Activities at Higher level.
- The Easter Revision Course provides extra preparation to students studying for the exam, either on their own or at school.
- And the Pre-Exam Revision Workshop offers intensive final preparation, on the Saturday before the exam itself, for both New School and external students preparing for this year’s exam.
See the Leaving Certificate Music section of our website for general information.
- Michael Behan • theory, musicianship
- John Clarke • songwriting
- Sarah Cunningham • theory, musicianship
- Barbara Dagg • theory, musicianship
- Tommy Gray • theory, musicianship, composition
- Andrew Hogan • theory, musicianship, Junior Cert. Music
- Alice Jago • songwriting
- Patrice Keegan • theory, musicianship
- Kieran McEvoy • Songwriting Workshop
- Elisabeth Meuleman • theory, musicianship
- David Mooney • jazz theory
- Eoin Mulvany • theory, musicianship, composition,
Leaving Cert. Music Courses & Workshops,
Music Fundamentals, Sight Singing Made Easy
- Tamara Niekludow • theory, musicianship
- Melanie O’Reilly • The Art & Craft of Songwriting
This prize is awarded for the most creative original composition or song for solo instrument, voice or ensemble, performed by the composer or songwriter alone or with ensemble for our annual Scholarship Competition in late May / early June.
See Scholarships • Prizes for more information.
Currently-enrolled students (and parents of students) are entitled to several useful benefits, including:
- Discounts on Waltons World Masters Series Events
- Discounts from Waltons Music
- Discounts on Ensembles, Sessions and Music Theory Courses
- Discounts on Practice Facilities
- Discounts on City-Centre Parking
See Student Benefits for more information.