Pre-Instrumental Music Programme
at Waltons New School of Music
‘I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy; but most importantly music, for in the patterns of music and all the arts are the keys of learning.’
Designed for children aged 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6, the New School’s Music for Me courses provide a unique introduction to music and music-making, all in a nurturing and creative environment. Move Your Feet & Sing to the Beat, a shorter pre-instrumental music course, can be taken independently or as a follow-on course. We also offer internships to students currently enrolled as undergraduates in music or music education programmes in Ireland.
The class [Music for Me] has been very beneficial for our child, who went from being extremely shy at the start to fully participating and enjoying the class each week. It has been the perfect balance of learning and fun.
Excellent teacher. [Music for Me]
[A] great teacher, very good with kids. My two children (4 and 5 years old) were in her class [Music for Me], taking their first steps in music. After only few weeks, they were soaking up music basics without even realising it, while having real fun.
I like the variety, the different instruments introduced and the visiting teachers. My son really enjoys the songs, and he loves to sing them during the week. [Music for Me]
The teacher...is lovely, very caring, a natural educator. [Music for Me]
Great classes that help children to develop and appreciate music. [They] leave each week happy and want to return the following week. Everything I had hoped for. [Music for Me]
[My daughter] really enjoyed coming to her class. It was the highlight of her week, and we would listen to the songs she had learnt all through the week. It was great to see her grow confident amongst the other children. The teacher was great with the kids and always brought a smile to [my daughter's] face. Thanks again for your help! [Music for Me]
The teacher is great at providing a fun environment for learning.... [Music for Me]
Very good [Music for Me] course and atmosphere.... [My son] loved the teacher, different instruments and other children. Interaction helped him to ‘come out of his shell’.
The teacher was very friendly and professional. We were very happy with our 5-year-old son attending the [Music for Me] class and look forward to him joining the class again in September.
[A] great teacher for introducing my daughter to the world of music. She learned lots and enjoyed every [Music for Me] class.
Click on the tabs for information.
And see the Pre-Instrumental Music Programme menu for more detailed information.
Music for Me Courses
Music for Me, the New School’s ‘pre-instrumental’ or ‘early years’ music programme, is divided into three courses by age group:
The programme is designed to prepare children for further music exploration and help them to make a successful transition to instrumental study. The courses can be taken sequentially, or children can enter, subject to available places, at any level.
The curriculum for each level is geared and paced to the abilities, developmental stage and learning styles of that particular age. Classes move at a lively pace that keeps children engaged and having fun while learning.
Depending on age group, Music for Me classes incorporate some or all of the following elements:
- Moving. Children love to move. Moving to music allows them both to express themselves and to develop their bodies, ears and imaginations.
- Listening. Children are exposed to a wide variety of music, including new and traditional songs, different genres (classical, Irish traditional, jazz, etc.) and music from other countries and cultures. ‘Natural’ sounds and soundscapes (rain, thunder, animal sounds) are also explored.
- Exploring. Children play with music’s ‘building blocks’ (rhythm, melody, etc.). Older groups learn the rudiments of tonic solfa (doh, re, mi) and music reading.
- Making. Children discover music by making it their own. They collectively improvise and ‘compose’ pieces through which many elements of music can be explored (melody, pitch, rhythm, range, tempo, dynamics, structure, tonality, instrumentation, mood, timbre and texture).
- Meeting the Instruments. Children have the opportunity to examine the physical and sound-making properties of several instruments, and are introduced to various instruments and instrument families (strings, wind, keyboard, guitar, traditional, etc.) through visits by New School faculty members.
Move Your Feet & Sing to the Beat
Taking place during the New School’s Third Term (April – June) and complementing our Music for Me courses, Move Your Feet & Sing to the Beat is a 10-week course explores basic musical concepts through a variety of fun and engaging activities.
‘Our son loved going to his classes and was very proud of his achievements. He had fun and learned about beat, rhythm and was introduced to different instruments and sounds. Great experience!’
– S. Keane
Music for Me Programme Internships
Music for Me internships are open to students currently enrolled as undergraduates in music or music education programmes in Ireland. Interns will work alongside and under the supervision of the Music for Me teacher on an ongoing basis, developing their teaching skills and classroom management techniques. They may also have the opportunity to work with teachers and/or facilitators in the New School’s Outreach Programme. Although the internships are unpaid, they are a valuable opportunity to gain experience in music education for children.
See Job Opportunities for more information.