Waltons New School of Music
‘It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery [the theory of relativity] was the result of musical perception.’
– Albert Einstein
‘Music has to be recognized as an…agent of social development in the highest sense, because it transmits the highest values – solidarity, harmony, mutual compassion. And it has the ability to unite an entire community and to express sublime feelings.’
– José Antonio Abreu
Since 2001, the New School’s extensive Outreach Programme has provided both music courses and one-off music and cultural workshops to primary and post-primary schools, youth centres, special needs organisations and the local community.
Click on the tabs for general information.
Or see the Outreach Programme menu for more detailed information on specific elements.
Outreach Programme Mission
The value of music and music education for young people is undisputed. Numerous studies have proven that music tuition and active music-making:
- Supplies intellectual, emotional and physical components critical to young people’s development
- Provides unique and distinct modes of learning
- Promotes higher order thinking skills
- Fosters creativity and self-expression
- Encourages teamwork and cohesiveness
- Develops perceptual and motor skills
- Is a major source of joy and achievement
(See Why Music? for links to music education advocacy articles and scientific studies that detail these benefits.)
The goal of our Outreach Programme is to provide opportunities for music tuition and active music making that may not otherwise be available in schools or the local community. Our intention is to expand children and young people’s musical knowledge and encourage imaginative thinking, creativity, a positive self-image and a respect for their own and others’ cultural heritage.
Courses • Workshops Offered
We offer a range of curricular and extra-curricular music courses, taught by some of the Dublin area’s finest music teachers, that can take place in your primary school, post-primary school, special needs school or youth centre.
The following courses are available:
Music for Me! (pre-instrumental music)
See Outreach Courses for more detailed information.
Our outreach music workshops have taken place at over 300 primary schools, post-primary schools, youth centres and special needs organisations nationwide, as well as at the Ark and National Concert Hall, Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin, Spina Bifida Hydrocephalus Ireland, and arts centres throughout the greater Dublin area. Our facilitators are professional musicians and educators with a wealth of experience and have been carefully selected for their ability to work with and inspire young students, as well as for their experience with group music tuition.
Our workshops include:
Capoeira in the Classroom (primary, post-primary, special needs)
Drumming Around the World (primary, special needs)
Let’s Write a Song! (primary)
Music Technology for Post-Primary Students (post-primary)
Songwriting • Music Production (post-primary)
Sounds Irish (primary, post-primary)
See Outreach Workshops for more detailed information.
Outreach Programme Faculty
- David Burns • Bodhrán & Violin courses
- Marta Burns • Singing & Music for Me! courses
- John Clarke • Guitar & Songwriting courses
- Marisol de Paula • Violin & Music for Me! courses
- Aoife Desmond • Irish Fiddle course, Sounds Irish workshop
- Niall Donnelly • Let’s Write a Song, Songwriting & Music Production workshops
- Sinéad Flynn • Singing course
- Éamonn Galldubh • Bodhrán, Guitar & Tin Whistle courses
- Solomon Ijigade • Drumming Around the World workshop
- Brian Lynch • Exploring Percussion course
- Niamh McCormack • Singing course
- Cathy McEvoy • Choir
- Ian McTigue • Drumming Around the World & Sounds Irish workshops
- Sansão Maia • Capoeira course & Capoeira in the Classroom workshop
- Gary Norman • Guitar & Ukulele courses; Leaving Cert. Music Technology & Music Technology for Post-Primary Students workshops
- Bríd O’Donnell • Tin Whistle courses
- Lucie O’Flynn • Violin & Irish Fiddle courses
- Meadhbh O’Rourke • Tin Whistle courses
- Daniela Quaresima • Capoeira in the Classroom workshop
- Gavin Ralston • Let’s Write a Song, Songwriting & Music Production workshops
- John Sweeney • Bodhrán, Guitar & Tin Whistle courses
- Carmel Whelan • Choir & Music for Me! courses
Booking • Enquiries
To book a particular course or workshop, please complete an Outreach Programme Booking Form. If you would like to find out more about a particular course/workshop, or about our Outreach Programme in general, please use our contact form or phone David Mooney, the New School’s Outreach Co-ordinator, on (01) 478 1884.
Child Protection • Garda Vetting • Insurance
Our Outreach Programme adheres to Waltons New School of Music’s rigorous Child Protection Policy.
All of our outreach course teachers and workshop facilitators are Garda vetted.
Both our workshops and lessons/courses are fully covered by employer’s and public liability insurance.